22.12.10 Apps for the iPhone and Electricians
Over the past year there has been a great increase in the range of apps available for Smartphones. As an individual, you are either a Smartphone genius or have no idea about the latest technology. Smartphones are creating a revolution and are changing the way people consume, interact and live their everyday lives.
Apple sold 1.7 million iPhone 4 models in just three days. The Apple app store has around 250,000 apps. Some of the more useful apps can help save you time as they are convenient. Many are free, can do complex calculations and their potential for the electrical industry is huge.
Below, R.B.Grant Electrical Contractors have listed some useful apps that are designed for electrical contractors, for the customer and general electrical apps:
- Ohm’s law – Ohm’s Law app allows you to easily calculate resistance, current, power or voltage across a conductor. The Ohm’s Law app for the iPhone costs £0.59.
- ABB Energy Calculator – ABB recently released this free Energy Calculation application for the iPhone, iPad and iPod. The app is designed to calculate the energy savings that can be achieved by installing variable speed drives to control motors. The app gives users the ability to compare motors controlled by variable speed drivers and motors running direct without any speed control devices.
- E-Formulas – the E-Formulas app costs £3.99. It is designed to solve any of the top 22 formulas in electrics. The application will calculate resistance and capacitance in parallel, a voltage drop calculator and Ohm’s Law calculator.
- MK – the MK app allows you to access MK specification literature on an iPhone. The home page of the app is where you can download the MK brochures. The app will also show its nearest stockist and the distance from the user via GPS on the phone or a quick postcode search.
- Jung Smart Remote – The Jung smart remote turns your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch into the remote control for your smart home control system.
- iMyHomeLE – this home automation app allows the user to control both BTicino MyHome and Legend Arteor home automation systems from an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. This allows your iPhone to become a remote control to manage security, lighting, heating and various other settings from the comfort of the living room or on the commute home. The iMyHomeLE costs £22.99. However, you also get a free demo that can be downloaded for a period of time.
- Gas Cubby – the Gas Cubby app would be useful for managers to monitor and track mileage, fuel consumption and maintenance of the company vehicles. The app costs £2.99 with the extra feature of Excel export, so all information can be kept on one main computer.
- Layar – the Layar app shows you what is around you by overlaying digital information onto the image created by your phone’s camera. The Layar app tell you about the energy performance of the buildings in your area. This free app would be useful to electricians to target clients for energy audits.
If you are interested in Home Automation for your home, please contact R.B.Grant Electrical Contractors today. For more information, look at our Home Automation page.