18.11.10 Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, tasteless, odourless and toxic gas produced by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. Carbon monoxide can be dangerous to humans if exposed to it for a long period of time. Mild systems of carbon monoxide include headaches, nausea, sore throat, dry couch and dizziness.
Carbon Monoxide detectors measure the levels of carbon monoxide over a period of time and sound an alarm before the level of CO in the air becomes dangerous. This allows people the time to properly and safely ventilate the area and report it to an appropriate body.
Before purchasing a carbon monoxide detector, ensure it complies with the British Standard EN 50291 and has a British or European approval mark e.g. Kitemark.
- Install Carbon Monoxide detectors
- Always use an approved electrician to install
- Always use a Gas Safe Registered engineer in relation to gas appliances
Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week organised by the charity CO-Awareness will run from 15 – 19 November 2010. The aim of the week is to reduce incidents, fatalities and ill health due to carbon monoxide poisoning by raising awareness among consumers.
These types of products should always be installed by an approved Carbon Monoxide Detector installer.